About Me

My photo
USDF Region 1, United States
Rigitta is a 2005 Lipizzan mare,(Pluto II Dixana x Rheia), that I finally found Dec 2010 after a 2 year search for a Lipizzan. Many adventures and new found friends later, Rigitta and I begin our partnership and eventual dressage competitive career. Rigitta has not been started yet so this will all be from scratch just like my 2007 Dutch Warmblood, Cedar(Theo), has been. I am an over 50 Adult Amateur Dressage competitor. I am a supporter of the Nokota Horse and have owned several. ... www.nokotahorse.org ... Amy Dragoo is helping me with my Blog photos. Majority are from her. ... AK Dragoo Photography, LLC ... www.akdragoophoto.com ... You can follow her Blog here: http://akdragoophoto.squarespace.com/view-all-posts/ ... Also a shout out to Sarah Casey and Waltzing Horse Farm Berlin, New York where I got Rigitta ... http://www.waltzinghorsefarm.com/ ... Make sure you click on "older posts" at the bottom of the page to see everything that has been happening since the beginning of the adventure!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Clip, Clip, Clip Part 2

Rigitta has a very long thick coat and the weather is changing to spring, it will be 6o degrees by the end of the week!  2 weeks from now Gitta goes off to start her big girl work and needs to loose all the hair and it came off this evening.  I have clipped horses every year since I was 18 so I feel like an expert. She stood very well for her clip and as I have done for quite awhile I do not clip their heads, or their legs and I leave a square where the saddle goes.  Unless I am clipping for showing I do not clip more then is needed.

She is all tucked in double blanketed with a quilted cotton stable blanket and a medium weight turnout.

Tomorrow I will clip Theo but he does not have as much hair and I only plan on doing a trace clip.  A trace clip dates back to the old days for driving horses and clips just the hair off where the "traces" of the harness would have gone.  It is a very economical clip for the riding horse and only takes off where they would sweat the most when they are ridden.  You do not need to blanket them as heavily with a trace clip.

No comments: