About Me

My photo
USDF Region 1, United States
Rigitta is a 2005 Lipizzan mare,(Pluto II Dixana x Rheia), that I finally found Dec 2010 after a 2 year search for a Lipizzan. Many adventures and new found friends later, Rigitta and I begin our partnership and eventual dressage competitive career. Rigitta has not been started yet so this will all be from scratch just like my 2007 Dutch Warmblood, Cedar(Theo), has been. I am an over 50 Adult Amateur Dressage competitor. I am a supporter of the Nokota Horse and have owned several. ... www.nokotahorse.org ... Amy Dragoo is helping me with my Blog photos. Majority are from her. ... AK Dragoo Photography, LLC ... www.akdragoophoto.com ... You can follow her Blog here: http://akdragoophoto.squarespace.com/view-all-posts/ ... Also a shout out to Sarah Casey and Waltzing Horse Farm Berlin, New York where I got Rigitta ... http://www.waltzinghorsefarm.com/ ... Make sure you click on "older posts" at the bottom of the page to see everything that has been happening since the beginning of the adventure!

Monday, December 27, 2010

So I begin the Journey!



I am starting this Blog for Rigitta since I am sure my friends are tired of getting e-mails from me about her!

Rigitta ( Gitta) is my 2005 Lipizzan mare that I searched 2 years for and found in upstate New York  December 2010.

I also have a 2007 Dutch warmblood by Rampal named Cedar (Theo) and I will mention him in this blog as well, but mostly this is about Gitta.

She needs to be started in the spring.   Many, (not all), of the Lipizzan breeders I encountered in my horse search rarely started their horses, which was one of the many challenges I encountered in shopping for one.  Not many had been backed yet and if they were they were way out of my price range.   After 2 years of looking for everything on my tick list, I decided I would need to become more flexible or it was never going to happen.  I am also a lot more educated on the breed now and had another Lipizzan breeder helping me locate suitable horses on the east coast.  There are less then 1,000 in the US and majority are on the west coast, so it has been like looking for a needle in a haystack.  She recommended this horse from all the photos sent to me by the owner and it was love at first sight!  She was up in northern New York, 5 hours away.

The list I started with was:
Gelding
15.1 or taller
5 - 7 yrs old
Under saddle
Modern Dressage gaits
Suitable for older amatuer
Suitable for combined driving

What I got was:
Mare
14.1
5 yrs old
Not backed
Modern Dressage gaits
Suitable for older amatuer
Suitable for combined driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3dG7H3Qc0A
I think she has all of the important things!

 I have lost 15 pounds and working on another 15, so I won't look like a barrel on her.   I had gotten to 178 in October and that scared me, I was so uncomfortable at Lexington BLMs.  I have just changed my eating habits, especially not eating after 8:00 PM.  I am finally down a size so feeling proud of myself.  I am also doing Pilates 2 x a wk.
Theo has the winter off, just turned out, so I can buy my Lipizzan rather then spend the training fees.  Rigitta and Theo go to Anecia's the last weekend of February.  Anecia will start Theo up and then when Dorie is ready he will have his 3 months with her, then back to Anecia's and then hopefully to Blue Rock.  I will talk to Jenny about a stall mid-year.  Gitta will stay here at the farm over the winter of 2011 and then hopefully she can be at Blue Rock too in 2012.  
I start with a plan anyway and modify from there!  I have not figured out where/when the driving fits in yet.  I know who I am going to have train her to drive and it wil be after she has been undersaddle 2 yrs but have not thought much a head of that.

Major things on her calendar this year are below.


SRS Clininc at Four Winds Farm end of July

July 30/31 Morven Park VADA/NOVA breed show


Hits on the Hudson East Coast Pony Cup

4) East Coast Pony Cup Champion and Reserve Champion and ribbons to six places to the
highest combined scores of the two rides for each division. Champion and Reserve Champion
have mandatory mounted awards with prizes to be determined. Rider must ride both classes in
level for championships, ie Training 2 and 4 and declare Adult (over 18) and Youth (18 and
under). Championship will be divided between


BLMs and GAIGs and Dressage at Devon
BLM’s will be hosted by ESDCTA at  NJ Horse Park, Oct 13 - 16 and Regional GAIG Championships will be hosted by VADA at Lexington, VA on Oct 20-23
I will be there for both doing Training Level, qualified or not, with Theo and Gitta.
   
DAD plans for Gitta are to do the three 6 yr old U/S with her, me riding...6 yr old mares, suitability and Material and then the Lipizzan IBC.  Theo for the 4 yr old U/S classes with Anecia up, no KWPN IBC for him,, because of his turned out feet.  Waste of an entry fee and he needs the U/s stuff more anyway.
So very exciting to start planning the journey to those 2011 end of year Shows for both of my  young horses.

No comments: