About Me

My photo
USDF Region 1, United States
Rigitta is a 2005 Lipizzan mare,(Pluto II Dixana x Rheia), that I finally found Dec 2010 after a 2 year search for a Lipizzan. Many adventures and new found friends later, Rigitta and I begin our partnership and eventual dressage competitive career. Rigitta has not been started yet so this will all be from scratch just like my 2007 Dutch Warmblood, Cedar(Theo), has been. I am an over 50 Adult Amateur Dressage competitor. I am a supporter of the Nokota Horse and have owned several. ... www.nokotahorse.org ... Amy Dragoo is helping me with my Blog photos. Majority are from her. ... AK Dragoo Photography, LLC ... www.akdragoophoto.com ... You can follow her Blog here: http://akdragoophoto.squarespace.com/view-all-posts/ ... Also a shout out to Sarah Casey and Waltzing Horse Farm Berlin, New York where I got Rigitta ... http://www.waltzinghorsefarm.com/ ... Make sure you click on "older posts" at the bottom of the page to see everything that has been happening since the beginning of the adventure!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Training update

Bridle and saddle went on in the cross ties earlier this week...non event...possiblly Sarah did this with her when they were prepping her for her inspection 2 yrs ago...or Gitta is just not bothered by it.  I can lay over her back and stand on the top of the mounting block over her and she doesn't move, but it is in the barn and on the cross ties surrounded by her friends.  So need to try it in the paddock.
What she is really not happy with are the plastic bags and the crinkly rain sheet  I am sacking her out with.   so more of that for sure.   The big towel  that does not make noise doesn't bother her, so it is the noise and the wiggly trailing surcingles of the sheet.    
She was lunging for me in just the halter earlier this week in my small paddock.  And then a couple days later in surcingle and bridle
It is all fun and I liberally use carrots and treats through out all the sessions.  She gets 3 training sessions a day.  In the AM for ground manners when turning her out,  she has to mind me as the last one being turned out and not worry about the other horses.  I repeat that when I bring her in at night as the last one in with some time in the paddock on the lunge. I keep the donkeys in the paddock so she does have some company and lower the stress level for her. Then after everyone is in and fed she gets her session in the barn with desensitizing and tack.
She no longer tries to bulldoze me with her shoulder.  I dealt with that very quickly and sternly early on.
She is very sensitive and reactive so I measure what I do and give her time to process things.  When she drops her head and leans her head softly into me I know she is saying, either.. okay I get it, I need a break or that something really worried her and she needs a break.  I really can feel her energy change when she does that.
   
I feel like a beautiful partnership is growing that I have not experienced with another horse other then Cody.  Theo is so independent and hard to read whether he really cares about me as a preferred companion in horse terms or I am just a food machine. 
I am so glad I have her!!!!!  There is the Lipizzan side of it of course but it is also who she is in her soul.  What a perfect fit for me!



Other musings...
update on my Nokota herd.
I sold Keen this summer to a lovely lady in Central Pa who lioves him to death but not interested in participating in Nokota promotion activities.  But at least another Nokota out in the world in a good place.  Cody did me proud at 2010  BLM in Lexington with a personal best at second level and won the class, third in another second level class and a good position in the middle of the pack for the First Level BLM.   He gave me everything he had, but it is time to stop torturing him.  I have found him a husband horse lease situation where he will live like a king for the rest of his life, but again they are not interested in Nokota promotion activities.
this is the end of the Nokota years for me I am afraid.  It was a great run, lot's of fun and experiences I would not otherwise have had but needs to come to an end, they are so much work to get started and I don't have the time any longer.
I am going to continue to sponsor the Nokota class forever as long as people want to bring their horses.  It is such a great party day and draws Nokota supporters in so it needs to continue.  I hope someday you can come and join the fun.
As I approach 60, I am downsizing to 2 horses that are better suited to me for my equestrian aspirations

No comments: