About Me

My photo
USDF Region 1, United States
Rigitta is a 2005 Lipizzan mare,(Pluto II Dixana x Rheia), that I finally found Dec 2010 after a 2 year search for a Lipizzan. Many adventures and new found friends later, Rigitta and I begin our partnership and eventual dressage competitive career. Rigitta has not been started yet so this will all be from scratch just like my 2007 Dutch Warmblood, Cedar(Theo), has been. I am an over 50 Adult Amateur Dressage competitor. I am a supporter of the Nokota Horse and have owned several. ... www.nokotahorse.org ... Amy Dragoo is helping me with my Blog photos. Majority are from her. ... AK Dragoo Photography, LLC ... www.akdragoophoto.com ... You can follow her Blog here: http://akdragoophoto.squarespace.com/view-all-posts/ ... Also a shout out to Sarah Casey and Waltzing Horse Farm Berlin, New York where I got Rigitta ... http://www.waltzinghorsefarm.com/ ... Make sure you click on "older posts" at the bottom of the page to see everything that has been happening since the beginning of the adventure!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

We are about 90% there with the plastic bag on the end of the whip.  Quite good with it this morning.

Tried on her new blanket.  Very smart looking.  She takes a 68 in the Dover Rider's International brand.

Another snow storm on the way tonight and they were all frisky waiting to come in.  Theo and Gitta both doing passage  along the fence line.  I scored Gitta a 10 and Theo an 8, he needs to do more homework.  He says she cheats.  I say sour grapes.

Gitta has solved the whole coming in from the field problem by discovering if she just stands at the gate first she comes in first.  Theo has been sent to the back of the bus.  She is still the last one to go out though in the morning.

I can't do much about her antsy behaviour when she is in the stall, but she understands that when I open the stall door to come in she is to back up and be still and wait.  She is very consistent now with this and I only need to remind her if something outside the barn gets her attention like this evening when Theo was still out there snorting away. She does reconnect back to me right away with a sharp word and signal to back up and be still.  Same applies waiting to come in from the field.  Once I am in the field she is to stand still and be quiet for the halter and moving out of the field and into the barn.  She really turns off the anxiety as soon as I am in the field or the stall.  So she gets it.  Good girl.

I have found her to be predictable in that she does not like to be rushed and have things move too fast.  It gets her worried and reactive. But she comes down from the anxiety quickly once I go thru the reconnection routine. The slower I go the slower and more relaxed she becomes. Keen was like this too in the beginning but able to take a lot more stimulus as time went by.

No comments: